Causes We Care About
Homelessness has a story and a name. There are an estimated 553,742 people in the United States experiencing homelessness on a given night, according to the most recent national point-in-time estimate (January 2017). Due to decades of misguided and faulty policies, homelessness is a serious problem. Over half a million people go homeless on a single night in the United States. According to the most recent survey in a report from the Council of Economic Advisers in September of 2019, approximately 65 percent are found in homeless shelters, and the other 35 percent—just under 200,000—are found unsheltered on our streets (in places not intended for human habitation, such as sidewalks, parks, cars, or abandoned buildings). Homelessness almost always involves people facing desperate situations and extreme hardship. They must make choices among very limited options, often in the context of extreme duress, substance abuse disorders, untreated mental illness, or unintended consequences from well-intentioned policies. Improved policies that address the underlying causes of the problem and more effectively serve some of the most vulnerable members of society are needed. In memory of our late friend Denver Moore, we will be donating a portion of our proceeds to Union Gospel Mission in Ft. Worth. To learn more about homelessness or donate directly you can go to: https://www.ugm-tc.org/
Childhood cancer: At just 7 months old, our friends' son, Lion, was diagnosed with Leukemia. Leukemia in infants under 1 year old is incredibly rare, and there are less than 150 cases a year in the United States. Because of this, research is very limited and treatment is very challenging. The survival rate for infants with leukemia is 47%, but the Huch's were determined to beat this and he is currently in remission at age 2.5. We have teamed up with the Huch's and Cook Children's to donate rain boots for the children's birthdays each month. We will also be donating a portion of our proceeds to childhood leukemia. To donate to Cook Children's directly go to https://www.cookchildrens.org/
Veterans: according to the National Coalition for Homeless Veterans, about two-thirds served our country for at least three years, and one-third were stationed in a war zone.
About 1.4 million other veterans, meanwhile, are considered at risk of homelessness due to poverty, lack of support networks, and dismal living conditions in overcrowded or substandard housing.
Animals: Did you know there are currently over 2,000 displaced German shepherds in need of a home in Collin county? And that's just one breed! Approximately 7.6 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year. Of those, approximately 3.9 million are dogs and 3.4 million are cats. Find out how you can help in your local area and what animal shelters need food, supplies, and foster parents. Please think twice before you get an animal from a breeder; adopt a dog or cat today.
Find ways to get involved in your community. We all have an opportunity to make a difference; one person at a time!
See our blog for more information and additional resources. You can check in periodically on our blog or social media pages to see events coming up and updates for our charities.